Jeremy Steindecker, a 1988 graduate of the University of Pennsylvania, walked straight from graduation day into his own office and never looked back. As a junior at Penn, he approached the university’s athletic department about selling sponsorship for the Penn Relays, the world’s oldest and largest amateur track meet; the University had run the sports event and had never once solicited corporate sponsorship. The athletic department approved, and Steindecker sold three major sponsorships for the event Penn Relays and ran the event’s VIP hospitality room. Instead of looking for a job his senior year, Steindecker incorporated and took on the Penn Relays as his first client post-graduation. He also became the youngest general manager in the history of the World TeamTennis league (a professional tennis league co-founded by Billie Jean King) when he took over the reins of the New Jersey Stars in 1989, handling everything from recruiting players to marketing, ticket sales and sponsorship sales.
Steindecker’s experience spans from complete turnkey operation of major arena events to small corporate outings for a dozen people, along with sponsorship sales and athlete representation. Some of his major accomplishments include:
- As agent for Martina Navratilova, negotiated major endorsement deals with Under Armour, the Juiceman™ juicer, and a line of fitness products with Spri. He also acted as her literary agent and negotiated a deal that was twice as large as a major literary agent had estimated for her book, Shape Your Self.
- Ran the most successful event in the history of the Virginia Slims Legends tour with the Virginia Slims of Baltimore featuring Billie Jean King, Martina Navratilova, Chris Evert, and Tracy Austin, four former world #1s.
- Sold a major three-year sponsorship deal for the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum in New York to a financial services firm.
- Designed and implemented a two-day clinic for Lexus during their sponsorship of the US Open for over 600 guests featuring such Legends as Jimmy Connors, Billie Jean King, and Martina Navratilova.
- Negotiated commentating deals for Martina Navratilova and Tracy Austin with the Tennis Channel
- Acted as the local promoter for Smash Hits, a tennis charity fundraiser hosted by Billie Jean King and Elton John, assisting the event director with all facets of operating and selling the event. The event sold out and generated over $500,000 for the Elton John AIDS Foundation and Washington AIDS Partnership
Steindecker lives in Washington DC with his wife and two children.